Tuesday, December 3, 2019

The Good things about being an Enneagram Type 9

Though each Enneagram Type has great strengths, which I appreciate, I like best being me, an Enneagram Type 9. I must confess that it took me a while to accept that I really am a Type 9, The Peacemaker, or The Mediator. I wouldn't consider that I might be this type for several weeks. I think the problem was that I was comparing my weaknesses with others' strengths. Another difficulty was that I was looking at the qualities of a Type 9 from the viewpoint of others, instead of reaching deep within and feeling the "rightness" in my soul of being a Type 9. 

Type 9 Motivation Let's face it, someone who's motivation in life is to create harmony and peace isn't valued as much in our culture (in the United States) as a the "go getter" Type 3 achiever, or a the "take charge" Type 8 leader, or a the "rock of society" Type 6 , or even the "life of the party" Type 7. They all "do" something. Type 2 helps people, Type 1 reforms the world, Type 3 has a drive to achieve, Type 4 creates in the arts, Type 5 studies and invents, Type 6 manages, Type 7 entertains, and Type 8 leads. Actually, I find the other types rather intimidating. They are all so driven and forceful, while I am not. 

Type 9 Peacemakers Type 9 Peacemakers are very gentle people who can patiently work all our lives on our goal to form unity and peace around us. Yes, this is idealistic and optimistic, but think what the world would be like if there were more of us! Yes, we are the "eternal optimists" who not only look for and hope for the good, but devote our lives to making it happen. 

Type 9 Mediators We have a gift of being able to hold, while not judging, many points of view and multiple issues at the same time. Since we are so receptive to not only others' ideas, but also to their feelings, we are aware of how others are feeling at a particular time. This strong empathic ability, plus the talent to be good communicators enables us to be exceptional mediators who can bring harmony to groups of people. 

Famous Type 9 Though there are a few famous Type 9's such as the Dalai Lama, Abraham Lincoln, JFK, Nelson Mandela, and my hero, Mr. Rogers; most of us are more involved in "invisible" work. Few people are even aware that we are "doing anything". They simply take for granted that the people in their family, at their job, or on their team just seem to get along and work well together.

Healthy Type 9 Type 9 people can also be tolerant, receptive, patient, wise, grounded, non judgemental, forgiving, warm, calming, serene, healing, trusting, open,  secure, and emotionally stable. We are content to be who we are and aren't concerned with impressing other people. We are warm, reassuring, and supportive friends who listen uncritically to your problems and share your good times.

If we are at a point of healthy development, we can also be aware of our own feelings, have a strong spiritual connection to life, have a healing influence, and be constantly improving, enthusiastic, creative, open to new ideas, and steadfastly hold and defend our very strong beliefs. 

What I like best What I like best about being a Type 9 is being so global. I enjoy the amazing sense of balance, peace, and flow it gives me. It is an incredible experience when I am using my powerful intuition to see the big picture and connect all my ideas and information into the whole. I yearn to understand how everything is related. This global orientation gives me the desire to also help bring wholeness to people by uniting them and helping them to work in harmony.

Creating Unity Part of the way I help to create unity is through my creativity. Type 9 people are very visual which is expected for someone so "right brained". We usually like to express our imagination through forming images whether in music, art, dance, or words. I especially love using  metaphors and similes to create thought pictures in my writing. 

Influence of Type 9 People who are called Type 9, The Peacemaker, The Mediator, and sometimes, The Dreamer, have an incredible ability to influence the world when we quit just dreaming, and courageously live our beliefs. We have the ability to lift others, to make the world a better place; a place of peace and love. We need to remember that we are enough and just be ourselves. 










No comments:

Post a Comment