Monday, February 4, 2019

Balancing my life as an INFJ

My life as an INFJ (introverted Intuitive Ni; supported by extroverted Feeling Fe) has been a series of "Boom and Bust" cycles. Even as a kid, I would be exhausted by the end of a day at school and would recharge by immersing myself in a good fantasy book for most of the weekend.

Why all this stress? Why are INFJs the most stressed of all personality types? One of the main reasons is that we are so different from most people. Not only does this mean that others find it very difficult to understand INFJs, but also we do not easily fit in society since behavioral expectations are set by the most common personality types. This isn't us. Though there is still a lot of debate over whether extroverts out number introverts, most agree that extroverts range from 50% to 74% of the population. But regardless of the percentage, our society in the United States is dominantly extroverted (compare it to an Introvert culture such as Japan). Also, in our culture Sensors are about 75% of the population and Intutitivies are only 25% of our population.  Now consider that of the 25% who are Intutitivies, less than 6% (INFJs 1% and INFPs 4.4%) use their Intuition in an Introverted way supported by Feeling.

This makes it very difficult for Introverts in general, and especially those who are Intuititive Feelers, to fit very well into an Extroverted Sensing Thinking society. This sort of culture values strong, dynamic, leaders who "successfully" achieve in the "real world" unhindered by emotional or philosophical concerns. Intuitive Feelers (INFJs and INFPs) are quiet, gentle souls who devote their lives to making the world a better place for all of us and our children. We are idealists in a society which devalues idealism, considering it as naive, impractical, and childish.  Though people like Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, Eleanor Roosevelt, Jimmy Carter, and Martin Luther King (all INFJs) are admired for their character and great accomplishments, in general, humanitarian causes receive little support in our society. Lacking the support of having people understand you and value your humanitarian goals, is stressful.

It is also very stressful as a strong introvert, to need plenty of quiet alone time to process all the Feeling and Sensing information that my two extroverted functions take in, to design plans to reach my goals to help others, to create insights and express them in writing or another art form, and to recharge. Extrovert societies demand "team players" and view anyone who spends time alone as unsocial, unfriendly, perhaps unbalanced, and certainly "depressed and lonely". 

This is why I have so many "Boom and Bust" cycles. I am out there in the world busily trying to attend every social, go every place, and trying to help people, when one day I simply --stop. I neglected my need to quietly recharge. I had forgotten that every noise, every moment of multi-tasking busyness, every social exchange drains me as an introvert. I recharge from within, and if I do not have this quiet time, then my battery eventually "goes dead".  

Trying to be someone I'm not, a Sensing Extrovert energetically engaged in the world, is something I can't keep up for very long. Like a fish out of water, I won't last long before I become seriously ill. I can't keep putting in a nickel and taking out a quarter from my health reserves before I find myself in an exhausted "bankrupt" heap. Trying to live in an unnatural way for you, is like having to do everything with your other hand.  To act as a Sensing Extrovert, I must suppress my Dominant Introverted Intuition and my Introverted Thinking. This takes away both my ability to create and my ability to analyze my ideas.  Not only is it awkward and exceptionally stressful, but eventually, I will slowly lose my sense of who I really am, my true identity.

Things which help me avoid Sensory and Feeling overload

Get plenty of quiet, alone time to recharge
So how can I cope with a life of going "Up the Down Staircase"? The main thing I have to do is to recognize my need for quiet time alone so that I can think and create. When I have too many sensing or social distractions, I become very frustrated and even depressed. Whether it is an idea, writing an article, planning a lesson, or solving a problem, I can only do it in a calm, quiet environment. Only when I get away from all the noise, clutter, disorganization, and busyness can I have the intense Intuitive focus I need I need to create. This is essential to my well-being, for learning and creating energizes my soul. 

Though it is so difficult to say "No" to social requests, I must remember that I am not an Extrovert who is energized by social interaction, nor am I  a Sensing person who thrives engaging in the "real world". I am instead an Intuitive being who creates in my mind, feels other people's emotions very deeply, and desires to make a better world. I do not need or want to be "reformed" into a "normal" Extroverted Sensing person. This is who I am, and this is who I want to be. Therefore, I must give myself the quiet nurturing time that I need, or I will not be able to share the gifts God has given me.

Simplifying and Delegating
It is a big help to me when I cut down on sensory input by simplifying my environment and delegating all the routine details possible. Gratefully, my retired strong Sensing husband, an ISTJ, has assumed most of the household responsibilities. This gives gives me more time to spend processing information, creating, sharing, and rejuvenating. Spending most of my time in my Introverted Intuitive mode gives me the energy I need to live a meaningful life of helping others. It also provides me with time to think of solutions to problems and design plans to help others. This need for quiet to create is why INFJ do best in jobs which allow them to have lots of time alone to think, such as, writers, ministers,  counselors, college teachers, and owning their own business such as freelancing or being a behavioral coach. 

Accepting my Sensing limits
It is hard for me as such an independent person to admit that I have limits and that I need so much time without distractions (all the sounds, sights, and smells of your "real world"). It is also hard for me to admit that all those "simple" Sensing things which most people, even most children, can easily do exhausts me. Even seeing a "To Do" list full of details can can give me a headache and suck all the energy out of me. I've had to quit feeling guilty and accept that as the most rare personality type, I really do have different strengths and weaknesses than most people have. 

Every person will become drained if they have to use their fourth function for very long. Most people avoid this stress since they simply avoid using their weakest function. Extroverts rarely let go of their tether to the "real world out there" to intently focus in their mind as Introverts can to analyze, create, and plan.  Sensing people need help to enter the world of possibilities, "world of imagination", where Intuitives live. In our culture dominated by Extroverted Sensing people, Introversion is rarely required of anyone, and Intuitive products of the mind are easily purchased such as: novels, movies, art, designs, scientific discoveries, plans, patterns, and programs. 

But as a dominant Intuitive who thrives on pondering the meaning of life, designing complex plans, and on writing about human behavior, it is impossible for me to avoid having to use my weak Sensing ability. Though I live in "the world of imagination", I must make frequent forays into the "real world" which surrounds me. It is humbling to have to ask my husband to help me with the mundane household tasks and admit to others that many "simple" things are simply too exhausting for me to do. 

Avoiding Emotional Burnout
Besides simplifying, eliminating, or delegating routine tasks, it also helps me to keep socializing to a minimum. This allow me to have more time to be creative and to process and recover from Extroverting both Feeling and Sensing. It isn't that I don't like people. I love people, but as an Introvert, I enjoy relating deeply, and quietly, with one person at a time. While Extroverts are energized by groups of people and love social events, they quickly drain my energy.

Being an Introverted Intuitive Feeling person gives me the added ability to be so receptive that I can actually take in and experience others' emotions. When I sense someone's spirit, and then see that their face and other non-verbal communication, don't match, I know that that person is trying to deceive me. This is sometimes stressful to know this. 

Since my Feeling is directed out in the world (extroverted), I pick up all the emotions around me, but not my own. To get my emotions out where I can be aware of them, I have to stop and write or talk to a supportive friend about how I am feeling. Writing in a journal is a great way to do this. I prefer to do my journaling through writing poems. This takes time. Often it requires considerable time alone for me to process how I am feeling, but without an awareness of how I am feeling, I cannot make good decisions. I end up just receiving other people's emotions and trying to keep harmony by meeting their wants and needs. This is how I easily end up as just a submissive "doormat", frantically exhausting myself by trying to meet everyone's needs and wants.

There are some other challenges in relating so deeply with almost everyone I meet. Empathizing with others requires a lot of energy and tires me very quickly.  This is why I prefer the more controlled internet communication, except for with a few very close family and friends with whom I visit. The problem is that if I do a lot of face to face contact and "socializing", I will become so tired that I will need to withdraw from everyone for a very long time to recharge. I don't want to do this. Not only do I become very lonely, but it certainly isn't any way to nurture relationships. 

It helps me to keep balanced by having some structure to help me keep connected to other people, such as using Facebook to show interest and concern for what others are doing, and remembering holidays and friend's and family's birthdays. It also helps me to maintain balance if I have time alone to process and let go of all the emotional input I have received from other people before I become overwhelmed. 

Another challenge I have is that being so aware others' feelings and needs, makes it difficult for me to tell them, "No". This is why I can easily over-commit.  My life revolves around trying to help people grow, but without time alone to get in touch with my own feelings and needs and set reasonable boundaries, I can quickly "burnout".

Coping with criticism 
Does this mean that I live a very lonely life? As an Introvert, I do not have the need for a large quantity of relationships, or to have groups of people surrounding me. I am very content communicating one on one with a few people. INFJs, though, do need to watch our tendency to withdraw to recharge. As an altruistic person who invariably puts others' needs before my own, I can be deeply hurt if people doubt the purity of my motives. I will try to prove to them what my motives are through my actions, but if a person does not trust me, I probably will avoid them since it is too stressful for me to be around them. 

Also INFJs are people who see future possibilities. We deal better with "suggestions for improvement", than with "corrections". I try to encourage others to approach me in this manner by asking for ideas for making my idea better. If they still try and "correct" me, then I rephrase their input in a more positive way, and ask them if this is what they meant. Not only does this help with communication, but it keeps me from feeling that my ideas are being rejected. It also gives me the option to further explain what I mean and refine my ideas. 

Attempting to explain my complex "whole picture" insights is a difficult thing to do. Many people feel very overwhelmed and confused by the complexity of my ideas. It helps me to be less stressed when I expect this reaction and accept that I must patiently help others understand what I mean. Putting my thoughts in writing is very helpful for it enables me fill in the details and organize my ideas in a logical manner, so that they can be better understood and accepted.  

Coping with idealism
INFJs also want to withdraw when the possibilities that we know can be achieved are not welcomed and acted on by those around us. It helps me first of all if I take the time alone to use my third ability Ti (Introverted Thinking) to check and make sure that my insights are logical. I also discuss my insights with my husband, a dominant Sensor. I ask him if he sees any problems with my ideas. I have learned to listen and not just defend my precious creation. Often, I find that I haven't explained something clearly enough, or that I need to incorporate more practical information into my design,  so that Sensors can understand what I am saying. I am often reminded of the need to make back up plans, so I am prepared when "real life" begins to morph my plans. Allowing a strong and supportive Sensor to give input on my ideas really helps me to refine them, so they can be implemented in the "real world".

Of course, I don't want to go very far into this "real world". I can be realistic as long as it serves my idealistic goals, but I cannot give up my vision of a better future, or give up my values, simply because others lack the faith to grow and change. My decisions are based on this vision and my values which have been honed by my Thinking logic and my Sensing practicality. Though I must remind myself to be open to other options, that generally isn't too difficult for me since my dominant mode, Intuition, is naturally perceptive and open to other perspectives. But after I have thought out and made my decision, I will rarely change. This can sometimes be stressful because I also want harmony, but what is right must come first.

Coping with My Perfectionism
Often, I have to remind myself that I really am different. I am energized by growth and improvement. Taking the time to go into my mind and think things out, helps me set a realistic pace and smaller interim achievable goals. I need to engage both my Introverted Thinking logic and my Extroverted Sensing awareness to make workable plans. I need time to break down my "whole picture" into pieces that I can handle, so I won't become overwhelmed with trying to be perfect now. When I start becoming overwhelmed by my goals, I change my focus from future possibilities to the past and present noting all that I have already accomplished. Also, I need to frequently remind myself that perfection is a slow process, so I might as well enjoy the experience. After all, I have all eternity to get there.  

Coping with expecting perfection in others

INFJs don't just direct their desire for growth to themselves; we want to help everyone become the best person they can be. After years of frustration, I finally realized that most people really are happy as they are, and they don't see the need for any change.  Improving is my main goal in life. I have struggled to accept that few people are as driven to improve as I am. Often, I have to remind myself that people grow at their own rate, in their own way, when they are ready. I am not responsible for their lives -- they are. They are the only ones who can change their own lives. (This has been especially tough for me to accept as a mother.) I cannot pressure or preach to them. It has been hard for me to accept that even though I can see such wondrous possibilities, all I can really change is my own life. So now I am happy just trying to set an example, sharing my insights and "learning experiences", praying for them, and cheering them on.  

Coping with being able to anticipate future events
INFJs have an unique challenge because of our uncanny ability to foresee the future and predict the consequences of actions. Sometimes it is so stressful watching someone racing full tilt toward a "brick wall". We try and warn them, but are told that we can't know what is going to happen. Believe me -- INFJs can! So there we are cringing, afraid to watch, and unable to prevent the disaster we know is coming.  Talk about major stress!

Coping with rampant worrying
Living in the "world of imagination" can be fun, but if you begin picturing negative possibilities, then it can be frightening. Children with their active imaginations often envision "scary" things when the lights are turned off. Creative adults can worry about many more things. I can worry about my children, grandchildren, and husband. I can experience each "good-bye" as our last parting. Imaginations need a strong hand to keep them in control. It helps me to make sure I have enough time alone so I can bring in my third ability, Introverted Thinking, and have it check over the logic of my thoughts. It also helps me to turn my mind from "dire disasters" by spending more enjoyable Sensing time in the real world. One of the best remedies is to express gratitude. My whole world changes when I focus on all that I have to be grateful for.  

My need for balance
So if I am careful about sharing my insights and plans, in dealing reasonably with my desire to improve and grow, and keep my extroverted Feeling and Sensing Extroversion within my limits, I will remain balanced and not feel the need to totally withdraw from others and the world for long periods of time. Basically, if I don't "Boom" (Extrovert too much), then I won't "Bust" or collapse in exhaustion and withdraw from all human contact. It can take me months to recover from over socializing and from compulsively accomplishing sensing details. When I reach this desperate point of withdrawal, I will at first feel relieved to just get away from everyone and everything, but in time, I will become terribly lonely. 

Balancing though sharing my insights
To avoid reaching this point of exhaustion, I must keep in balance. Just having lots of time to use my Intuitive ability is not enough. Not only must I balance it by using my Ti (Introverted Thinking) ability to check the logic of my ideas, but I must share my insights through my Extroverted Feeling function by talking, teaching, counseling, or writing.  Actually helping people gives my life meaning.

Using Sensing to keep me balanced
Also, I must allow my Sensing function to help balance my very strong Intuitive ability. I've learned that hard way that doing more details on my computer, or endlessly cleaning my house isn't the way. Those are the sort of activities that I do when I'm really out of balance and nearing a collapse. If I must do some detailed work, then doing it for only short periods at a time and playing music while I do it can help me keep more relaxed. 

Instead, to find balance, I need to use Sensing to relax. Though this is my weakest ability and the one that I trust the least, I need to engage in the "real world" in pleasant ways, so my Intuitive ability can take a break. Being out in nature brings a special peace and sense of balance to me. Somehow it centers me and is very restful. I also enjoy things such as taking a hot bath, a lovely dinner, a fun movie, a hug, sitting in the sunshine, a walk in the park, a hike in the hills, going for a ride in the country, dancing, listening to beautiful music, admiring art, or savoring a sunset. Small pleasant things all help to bring me back into contact with the world around me. I have even decided to take up a Sensing hobby -- Watercoloring. 

Finding Balance
So how do I find balance? By accepting who I am -- a dominant Intuitive. From my extroverted functions, Feeling and Sensing, I gather information as I listen, observe, and experience. In quiet I use my Introverted Intuition in my mind to process this information and to see their possibilities, patterns, relationships, solutions, and meanings. Afterwards, my Introverted Thinking checks the logic of my ideas, while my Feeling focuses me on human values and lets me know how I am feeling, and my Sensing helps me be aware of limits in both myself and in the "real world". Only then, am I ready to use my Extraverted Feeling to share my Intuitive ideas with the world through relating and writing. This is my balance.  














No comments:

Post a Comment